The spring 2011 collections promise a very colorful season to come; lace, sheer fabrics, a variety of prints that went from stripes to bananas; seventies disco; asian references such as obi like belts, oriental flower prints and motifs, pieces that seemed inspired in kimonos. Punk-rock biker styles were also present this season among a lot of other trends. It was hard to narrow it down, but I believe these trends will be key for next spring:
(Pictures from Style.com)
1. Bright Colors: Be it in print or solid , metallic fabrics or cotton, bold bright colors were a big part of almost every major house for 2011. It's a good time for the black and neutral friendly to brighten up.
2. Prints: They were all over the place: stripes, fruits, flowers, seventies like patterns, geometrics, and the always recurrent animal print. Be sure to pick some fun ones for your wardrobe.
3. Sheer: The transparency and lightness of the fabrics will suerely keep you fresh all summer long. There is a wide variety of options: dresses, blouses, skirts even some great pants.
4.Seventies: Some designers went more disco (Marc Jacobs) others more boho (Peter Dundas for Pucci) but the seventies are definetly making a comeback.
5. Suits: A good suit is always essential; Almost ever major designer provided us with great pieces this season. Just make you pick.
6. Lace: Lace has been around for a few seasons now, and this one is no exception. From bright lace (Christopher Kane) to the more romantic traditional one (Dolce & Gabanna).
7. Punk-Rock: This recurrent trend is not boring us in any way with the great leather jackets at Balmain, Burberry and sexy leaves of leather pants at Alexander McQueen. Be sure to get you rocker style.
8. Asia: Oriental references were evident in many shows: Carolina Herrera showed some great asia-inspired dresses, "kimonoesque" colorful looks at Haider Ackermann, Louis Vuitton's show presented a handfull of color metalized pieces chinese style. Obi like belts were all over the runways this spring (Sonia Rykiel).
9. Fringe: "Stringy" things hanging here and there, as a former owner of a "Charleston" inspired dress, I must say it's a lot of fun to wear.
10. Pleats: A lot of the light sheer fabrics were pleated this season, even some coats (Jean Paul Gaultier) at Miu Miu skirts were partially pleated but entirely fun.